Friday, April 7, 2017

A Timeline: When did you first hear "Time is a Variable" and "The Student is the Class"?

My journey toward  "Time is a variable" went like this:

TIMELINE
2005:  I heard Dennis Littky's interview on National Pubic Radio

2007:  I obtained permission from the publisher of Littky's book to translate it into Spanish

2009:  I visited Dr Fischler in his office.  
Steve: "Have you heard of Littky's book?"
F:  "No.  have you seen my blog?"
Steve:  "no."
So I volunteered to put his blogposts into a book (supplemented with his commentaries about quotations) and the result is attached:  www.TINYURL.com/Fischlerebook

I've used the phrase "Learning should be fun for the learner" (page 26) to engage students and to train teachers in the methods that Fischler promoted.

He told me about his testimony to the Miami Dade School Board to persuade them to allow Mavericks to open in Dade.  His testimony was key.

2010:  Fischler was standing outside the front of Mavericks High in Broward.  "They want to put my name on the front of that building.  I said, You have a Model T.  It's not quite there yet.  You have computers, but you don't use discussions and projects enough.   I won't let them put my name on the building until they improve the product."    (Mavericks never followed through.)

2011:  the Fischler commentaries book became available on Createspace (Amazon)
I also compiled some posters out of phrases that Fischler used.  www.TINYURL.com/fischlerposters

2013:  Alfredo de la Rosa gave a speech about "Time is a variable" and "Dr. Fischler" and "The Student is the Class."  August 2013   you can hear the speech  www.TINYURL.com/delarosaspeech    www.TINYURL.com/delarosa10    www.TINYURL.com/delarosa33 33 minute version

2014:  Littky's book in Spanish became available.   www.TINYURL.com/Spanish10Expectations  (the Spanish translation of Littky's 10 expectations   see www.LeavingtoLearn.org)

I mention Littky because many of his procedures appear to be similar to the xceedprep philosophy of letting students choose how and when to study.  "Own your day" is such a good phrase.  

The future.
The legacy of all of this writing is "spread it."  That's what Dr. Fischler asked.  Give away the ebook.


His story about the history of Nova is on video   www.TINYURL.com/historyofnova from a series of talks that Fischler gave to a class at Nova (graduate school)

The day of Fischler's funeral, I found a job announcement for xceedprep academy.

I love the Xceed poster with "School" and "Prison" and the features are identical.

It reminds me of an article in Reader's Digest
Reader's Digest did a review of schools.

PROPOSAL (for any school)
I would like to meet with you and find out how best to pass along what Dr. Fischler asked me to distribute:  He asked me to distribute the ebook "wherever."  The book is also translated into Spanish.

These ebooks are free for downloading.
www.TINYURL.com/freeforfamily  has many of the links

Projects and Portfolios   Matt Blazek  www.TINYURL.com/mattblazek  meeting with Dr Fischler

how to set up a digital portfolio  (to keep track of the projects)   www.TINYURL.com/sundp5
www.TINYURL.com/showyourwork  another way of showing the digital portfolio

This is all public domain.  Just give attribution.   
There is a delightful story about Arthur C Clark and the invention of the satellite

. In his authorized biography, Clarke admitted, "I never really expected to see it in my life; I also... seem to recall thinking it was an idea for all humanity, so I should publish to prevent anyone else from taking out a patent. As indeed I did..."

Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/special-features/articles/arthur-c-clarke-satellite-communications-patent/7/6/2010/id/28818#ixzz4dZM9iLuJ

That's what I feel about these ebooks.   Many of the ideas came because I was touched by the procedures and practices at Big Picture Learning (Rhode Island), High Tech High school (San Diego), Dan Pink (Free Agent Nation, A Whole new Mind, Drive, To Sell is Human), Seth Godin (and his many ebooks) and Dr. Fischler

So I'm happy to see what can be shared and improved by schools and teachers.

Boca Prep and other IB schools have a tradition of "sharing their procedures with other schools."  A certain amount of time is given each year to visiting other schools and giving workshops about "how to use the IB process in your school." 


Steve McCrea
Advocate of the Fischler method   "Learning should be fun for the learner and the teacher."
June 12, 2016  Dr. Fischler

No comments:

Post a Comment